- 4 large artichokes, rinsed well, top third removed, and leaf tips trimmed
- 1/4 cup salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 lemons, cut in ½ (or ¼ cup vinegar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons Maggi Sauce or Worchester Sauce
(should look tan in color)
- 2-4 teaspoons CHILE CRUNCH to taste
(Mayo Sauce recipe follows)
Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water. Add 1/4 cup of the salt and bring to a boil. Rub the cut sides and bottoms of the artichokes with the lemon wedges and carefully add them to the boiling water.
Weight the artichokes as necessary with a heavy dish or bowl, and simmer, partially covered, until the bottoms are just tender and can be pierced with a sharp knife and an outer leaf pulls out easily.
Drain the artichokes upside down in a colander until cool enough to handle. Cut the artichokes in half and discard the prickly purple leaves and hairy choke. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Baste the artichokes with the oil mixture and grill, leaf side down. When slightly brown, turn the artichokes and baste with the oil mixture until d lightly charred around the edges, about 5 minutes.
Place on a platter and serve with the mayonnaise sauce.
Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup mayo
- 2-3 teaspoons Maggi sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons CHILE CRUNCH